General Ulysses S. Grant
Facts about this object
President Lincoln had a very difficult time finding a general to lead the Union Army effectively. He finally found his man in Grant, whom he appointed Lieutenant General in command of all Union armies in March 1864.
This photograph was owned by the Lincoln family.
- CDV, General Ulysses S. Grant, in uniform, head and shoulders; vignette
- Holding Institution:
- Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection, Allen County Public Library, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Item ID:
- Relationship: The Union Army; Ellsworth volunteered in April 1861
- Relationship: Robert served on Grant’s staff in 1865
- Relationship: Grant was military hero to Tad
- Relationship: Union Army regiment
- Relationship: Union Army, need for troops
- Relationship: Union Army veterans
- Relationship: Lincoln was Grant’s commander in chief