1. Category:
  2. Cartoons, Broadsides & Ephemera (2,732)

U. S. Post Office, Lincoln's New Salem, Ill.

Creator:
L. L. Cook Co.
Location:
Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Origin Date:
1940
Materials:
paper
Measurements:
overall: 3 1/2 in x 5 7/16 in
Item ID:
71.2009.083.1582
Holding Institution:
Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection, courtesy of the Indiana State Museum
Available for Viewing:
No
Category:
Cartoons, Broadsides & Ephemera

Description

This postcard is a photograph of the reconstructed first Berry-Lincoln Store located in New Salem State Park near Petersburg, Illinois. On February 12, 1940, the United States Postal Service re-established the post office in the building. The caption is printed along the lower edge of the image. The number E-80 is printed in the lower right corner of the image. The reverse of the postcard is divided vertically with the right side labeled "Address." Abraham Lincoln lived in the original village of New Salem from 1831 to 1837. While there he was a co-owner of a store with William Berry and was appointed as postmaster for New Salem in 1833 with the post office being located in the store. He served as postmaster until the office was discontinued in 1836. Part of the Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection, courtesy of the Indiana State Museum